Friday 19 August 2011

Broccoli & Cheese Soup

When I told my family I was making this for dinner this evening, it's safe to say they gave me a look. As gross as it sounds it's actually pretty tasty, and judging by everyone's second helpings I'm not the only one who thinks so.

I actually made this is school in a home economics class so it is pretty healthy, (school's in the UK have gone healthy eating mad!) which is good as I'm trying to slim down. So if you want the recipe... here it is!

Ingredients

25g (1oz) butter & 1 tbsp oil
1 medium onion finely chopped
150g (5oz) peeled & diced potatoes
225g (8oz) broccoli divided into florettes
1 1/4 pints ham stock or water

250ml (1/2 pint) milk
1 tsp sugar
110g (4oz) mature cheddar cheese
1 clove garlic, minced

Method

Heat butter and oil in a large saucepan & sauté the onion and garlic until soft.

Add the potatoes, broccoli and ham stock/water & simmer until the vegetables are cooked (around 10mins.) Season to taste.

Blend the vegetables and stock until smooth.

Return the soup to the saucepan & add the milk, adjusting seasoning. Heat gently to serving temperature, do not boil.

Add the cheese & sugar, stir through to melt. Serve with crusty or wheaten bread.

I would have made home-made wheaten bread but I didn't have any butter milk. I'll save that recipe for another time! Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment