Monday 5 March 2012

Legannany Dolmen

I've lived just down the road for a portal tomb for 8 years and had still never visited it until this weekend when I just decided I was going! Legannany Dolmen is a megalithic dolmen and is around 5,000 years old! It's name in Irish is Liagán Áine meaning "Aine's standing stone" (Aine being an Irish Goddess) and was used as the grave site of a chieftain. I went to find another dolmen close by but apparently the road it is on doesn't exist :S But I shall find it on my next journey to historical places. Northern Ireland has around 150 dolmen's that are known, and could have many more, but Ireland as a whole has some of the best preserved and oldest dolmens, stone circles and standing stones in the world! I'm hoping to see as many as possible :)

5 comments:

  1. Hannah...Thank you for sharing your visit to the stones. You took some very beautiful photo's

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you ladies, it is a very magical place!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh how lucky you are to be so close. Since I'm energy sensitive I'd be in absolute heaven feeling the old ones. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow these pictures are wonderful, what a beautiful place to live just down the road from. (;

    ReplyDelete
  5. beautiful pictures! I'm so jealous you live that close to it, how cool!

    ReplyDelete